Welcome to The Fifth City, the Neath's Unofficial Lore Wiki!
The unofficial, user-created guide to the lore and intertwined worlds of Fallen London, Sunless Sea, Sunless Skies, and The Silver Tree, all created by Failbetter Games. All artwork used in articles is sourced from Fallen London, Sunless Sea, Sunless Skies, or The Silver Tree, unless otherwise indicated or edited in any way.
Warning: may contain spoilers, not of what exactly happens to you in the games, but of what you'll learn about the Neath along the way. You can learn about spoiler tags and their purpose here.
We're currently under construction and need contributors to help us rewrite pages! Pardon our dust - some information may be canonically dubious on the older articles. If you're interested in helping, you can join our Discord server.
What is Fallen London?
"Fallen London: once capital of the British Empire, now home of the Bazaar. Deep. Dark. Expensive. Marvellous. Here you can find everything from immortality to unnervingly good mushroom wine."
Fallen London, Sunless Sea, Sunless Skies, and The Silver Tree all take place in an alternate-history scenario in which five major cities in succession (eventually, there will be seven) fell underground into the vast network of caves known as the Neath. The first two games take place in the 1890s, approximately 30 years after London became the fifth city to fall, and are set in and around the new, convoluted London.
Sunless Skies takes place in 1906; Londoners have managed to figure out space travel ten years after Fallen London and Sunless Sea, and has launched itself into a sky where the stars are mysteriously dying out...
The Silver Tree takes place in the Mongol Empire in the 1200s, as half its capital is about to become the Fourth City and the other half's refugees are about to start a floating empire in the Neath.
You may find out more about the Fallen Cities here.
Some Questions You Might Have
- What is the Neath?
- The Neath is an enormous cavern populated by various settlements, scattered around a giant underground ocean called the Unterzee.
- What is the Echo Bazaar?
- The Bazaar is the center of commerce in Fallen London. Almost all legal business is conducted here. It's managed by the The Masters of the Bazaar, each of which has its own specialization.
- What is the Correspondence?
- A strange collection of sigils and inscriptions that tend to set people on fire.
- What is the Dawn Machine?
- An artificial Sun that went rogue.
- What are Judgements?
- Judgements make the world tick.
- Who is Mr Eaten?
- An excellent question, delicious friend! Let me guide you to this well, where you're sure to find all the answers you desire...
Pages to Visit
|Mr Feathers (Founder)|
|Mr Cryptics (Writer)|
Special thanks to:
- Albatross for a simply unfathomable amount of research and writing work for the wiki
- 0bsidianFire for putting together our background as well as several other art edits
- NiteBrite for her long-ago contributions to several fundamental pages
- Spacemarine9 for his amazing lore blog, which helped inform several popular articles
Join the Wiki Maintenance Discord!